Moscow, Idaho July 30-31, 2004
An event loosely organized by:
Palouse Falls ("A" route)
196 miles, approximately 5 hours
This is the "faster" of the two routes to
in the sense that it uses more of the main highways. It also includes the
The other way you could do this ride is via the
Note: the time estimate above doesn't include the stop at Palouse Falls.
- Head west out of Moscow on SR270 to Pullman, WA.
- At Pullman, get on US 195 and ride north to Colfax, WA.
Colfax is notorious for it's downtown speedtrap, so keep it to
- Take SR 26 west from the north end of Colfax and head towards
Washtucna, which is 50 miles west.
- At Washtucna, you might want to refuel, though you can probably
wait until you get back to Lewiston. There's also a place to eat
there -- turn left and head into town and you'll see a blue-green
cafe off on the left. There's another cafe a few blocks further
south on the main street.
- Head south out of Washtucna on SR 260 towards Kahlotus.
- About 6 miles south of Washtucna, you'll see some grain elevators
in the center of the valley to your left. That's where you're going
to turn left onto SR 261 towards Lyons Ferry.
- Watch for the left turn to Palouse Falls -- it's a couple miles
of hard-packed gravel but well worth the ride!
- Continuing SE from Palouse Falls on SR 261, you'll cross the
Snake River and follow the south bank for awhile back to
the intersection with US 12.
- Turn left (east) on US 12 and head towards Clarkston, WA and
Lewiston, ID. [Lewis & Clark, get it?]
- At the east end of Clarkston, you should take the "Red Wolf"
bridge over the Snake River (marked SR 128) and turn right on
SR 128, following the north shore of the river upstream.
- After about 3.5 miles (roughly) on SR 128, look for a small
street sign on the left marked "SPIRAL HWY". That's your turn! If
you need fuel, continue west on SR 128 for another mile and there's
a big Texaco on the right. Return to the Spiral Highway.
- Enjoy the ride up the hill!
At the top, there's a turnout on the left --
take a moment to check out the view --
you can see three States from the view point.
Get on US 95 north and head back to Moscow, ID.
On this route you can safely rely on finding fuel in Moscow,
Pullman, Colfax, Washtucna (there are unattended, creditcard-only pumps
with all 3 grades off the main street), Clarkston and Lewiston.
Copyright © 2004, by H. Marc Lewis. All rights reserved.